Smaller room with fireplace
His wife Maria (Mansfield), a free settler, arrived in the colony with her parents in 1832. She married John in 1842 and John was pardoned in 1849. John bought four parcels of land in Ginninderra in 1859 selecting one block on the Ginninderra Creek to build his stone cottage. The site of the cottage was in an advantageous position with a deep pool of permanent water and a nearby ford to cross the creek making it a key location and one that Palmer would have wanted protected from squatters (info).
The deep hole in Ginninderra Creek
Scarred Tree "out back" of the cottage (Aboriginal?)
John and his first wife Maria experienced first hand the high level of mortality for the era having 10 children and tragically only one surviving, Eliza Jane, who was born in 1850. Eliza married Duncan McInnes in 1867 and lived in the cottage until 1875. Jane fared better than her mother, having 13 children (4 in the cottage) and 11 surviving into adulthood. The cottage went to ruin when the family moved to Glenwood, near Hall in (circa) 1875. Eliza had a hard life as a homesteader and is remembered by her descendants for her strength, determination and hospitality. She was still riding horses well into her eighties.
(Eliza) Jane McInnes (nee Crinigan) 1850-1932
The cottage itself is a typical 3 room stone design of the mid 19th century of which there were over 40 along the banks of the Ginninderra Creek. The low remaining foundation walls do not leave any indication of where the windows were located however the internal doorways and fireplaces are prominent. The 3D model below is an impression of the building from the ruins dimensions and available features.
A schematic of the layout of the cottage
The main (central) room with the larger fireplace and room beyond
A large stepping stone indicates that the cottage faced the creek
And finally a video From Spinningreel from the Stakeout of Canberra -
View Larger Map